Dorothy Curtis grew up in Bynum, a small farming
community in central Texas. Following graduation from North Texas
State University (now University of North Texas) in 1944, she was
employed by the White Oak School District in east Texas. In the
1950’s, Dorothy moved to Fort Worth, Texas and married Eddie
Gaines. She resided in Fort Worth for the remainder of her life.
When Dorothy died in 2009, the majority of her estate
was left to The Dorothy Gaines Foundation. It was Dorothy’s
intention that her gift to the Foundation be given in memory of her
parents, Enoch and Ethel A. Curtis.